Thursday, September 16, 2010

Self-Doubt

Author/agent Mandy Hubbard had an awesome post today in which she was kind enough to share a portion of her 11 page editorial letter for her book Prada and Prejudice.

Like me you've probably looked all over the Internet trying to find out exactly what sort of stuff goes into an editorial letter, or what a published book looked like before it was put on shelves. And like me, you've probably found bupkis. Go check out Mandy's post and then come back here.

Back? Okay. Didn't she make you feel soooooo much better? What are some things you've done or told yourself to help you overcome self-doubt?

I wish I had more of a post for you guys today, but you see (Valerie, turn your head) I'm revising my manuscript today. I had some great (I hope) ideas pop into my head this morning when I was half asleep and I'm trying to get them out immediately!

Happy Thursday!


5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading her post. I remember in my publishing class, we talked about editorial critiques and what goes into them. I'd always seen them from the writer's POV, but it's hard for the editor, as well. Something that's always made me feel better is that the editor/publishing house NEEDS writers; without them, their business wouldn't exist. Writers are just as important as the editors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote she has in there "Don't get it right, get in written." So true with the first draft--I'm just glad I have you guys to find all my crazy mistakes in the first version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Km, that's a very good point!

    Kristi, I've said it before and I'll say it again. My writing would probably suck if not for you and Valerie. Much love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's just part of our nature to doubt ourselves, no matter what stage of the game we're at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link--that was great. It did make me feel better.

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis