- Every scene needs to move the plot forward, needs to accomplish something
scenepage needs tension
- Don't be passive! Make things happen to your main character, not through a third party
- Ask yourself if this could be dramatized
- Be lenient with adverbs (she admonished, gravely)
- "Substitute the word 'damn' every time you are inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and your writing will be as it should." - Mark Twain
- When writing an action scene, don't slow it down with descriptions
These are just a few things I keep in mind when writing, most of them have been drilled into my head by my lovely Sisters. I'm sure there's more, but these are probably my most important. I try to keep them in mind with every line I write.
Do you have any little rules you try to write by?