Thursday, April 28, 2011

3 Ways That Revisions Are Like Boyfriends

Like Kristi, I'm deep in revision mode and my signs are pretty much the same as hers. But have you ever thought about how revising a manuscript if a lot like finding a new boyfriend? Thankfully, I'm married (today is my anniversary) and don't have to worry about new boyfriends. Unfortunately, the revisions never seem to end.


1.) In the beginning, you feel great about it. You spend every free minute together. You even share your Good & Plenty candy with it. It's amazing.

2.) Then. Oh, then. Your revision does unexpected things, makes you cut thousands of words and just throw them away like they never meant anything to you. You completely change your story for your revision. He forces you awake at all hours to jot things down in your sleep stupor and spend hours the next day deciphering your scribbles. But it's for the best. You know this revision is making you better. It's making your book better. Right?

3.) Finally, the day comes when this revision has polished your manuscript and made it sparkle like unicorn feet. It's fresh. It's beautiful. It's worth every sleep deprived candy binge. You say "I do" and send it out into the query trenches!

Unless you read your manuscript again and realize this revision has blinded you, destroyed everything you've worked for and made it a sloppy mess! Better than it was before, but still a sloppy mess. He's not the one for you.

In that case, you toss him out and start a new one.

5 comments:

  1. LOL great post! You know how revisions AREN'T like boyfriends? Because you can change a manuscript...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 'boyfriend' has been keeping me up all hours for the past week, and my husband is starting to get jealous.

    Also, I had no idea that unicorn feet sparkled. Happy Anniversary! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol @ Lisa!

    Kristi, my husband is jealous too. And unicrons totally look like they should have sparkly feet. And rainbow manes.

    Thanks, Jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. Love it. Now I need to get back to my "boyfriend.". :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis