Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Doing My Part for Borders

As my family and friends already know, I'm a huge nerd. How huge? My date nights with my hubby (luckily, also a nerd) involve dinner at our fave restaurant, followed by several hours in...Borders. I was devastated to hear about the bankruptcy of Borders, even though I'd all heard it was coming. Although I'm a big believer in supporting independent bookstores, Borders is the closest one to my house, and those of you with small children know that you often have to take the easiest route. Plus, my kids LOVE the kids' section at Borders. We had to do an errand at the mall today, and my kids got really excited, which is not their typical reaction when I announce errands. They asked, "Can we go to Borders?" Being the great mom that I am, I responded, "Why, yes. Yes we can!"

Luckily, the one by my house is not one of the multiple stores closing in Colorado. I'd like to think it's partly because of me--my holiday shopping there alone should keep them in the black for awhile. After my 3-yo picked out a Tangled book and my 6-yo chose the newest Geronimo Stilton adventure, I left them in the capable hands of my hubby and meandered to the YA section--my favorite! So what did I add to my never-ending TBR pile?

NEED by Carrie Jones...



...and Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder.

There were so many other pretty covers calling out to me, but that's okay. I'll be back.

Have you purchased any books recently? Anyone else feel like bookstores are a little slice of heaven?

9 comments:

  1. Bookstores are a little slice of heaven, for sure. The Borders near me isn't closing either, but sad to admit I do not shop there. it's INSIDE the mall. The mall is an evil place I dare not go unless I absolutely have to.

    I go to Barnes and Noble or the Indie Children's Book store in Manhattan. Last week I bought from Barnes and Noble: SLICE OF CHERRY by Dia Reeves, THE REPLACEMENT by Brenna Yovanoff, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis, THE LOST SAINT by Bree Despain, and LAST SACRIFICE by Richelle Mead. A few days before that I snagged PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS by Michelle Zink, and just before that LINGER by Maggie Stiefvater and PROM AND PREJUDICE by Elizabeth Eulberg (got those at the Indie).

    There are just way too many good books this year! i really want those two you got too, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey--our Borders is inside the mall too, but it's the closest bookstore to me. That's an impressive list of books. I haven't read any of those, but I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it a Borders Express? That's what the one here is. The BN that I go to is the ONLY chain bookstore on the island (aside from the Borders express in teh mall). We have two Indies, one sells only used books and 99% of them are adult books that I have no interest in, and the other is an LGBT bookstore and they don't carry much YA.

    So BN is the closest one. It's so busy, I've actually had to wait in line to park and again to leave the lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't say Express, so I'm not sure. We have an indie (The Tattered Cover), which I love, but the kids prefer the kids' section at Borders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole Borders thing is very sad. They always had such a great atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, A. It's also one of my favorite date night spots. And B. I'm still sooooo upset!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa--It's good to know I'm not the only one!

    Matthew--yeah, their YA section is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bookstores! I could spend hours in them, if I had more time to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I'll brave the mall to see what the YA section is like. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis