Wednesday, March 2, 2011

For The Love Of Boy... Books

I love boy books. For some reason I'm always drawn to books with male narrators. Many of my story ideas come to me with boy as the main character. And even though my current project is a dual narrative, in which one of the narrators is a boy, I never considered it a "boy book" and I've always been a bit hesitant about writing something strictly from a boy's point of view.

Then I read this post by Hannah Moskowitz who has so far written exclusively male 1st person POVs (and they are AWESOME) and I changed my mind. Since then I've written several shorts over at Tangled Fiction that feature boy narrators, and fleshed out some ideas for novels. And I really love it. I have no idea why, but there are several teenage boys living in my head and I think it's only fair they get their shot to appear on paper too.

So today I want to celebrate women writing boys, because there have been some great books lately about boys who are REAL BOYS, not the sweet, fantasized versions girls are supposed to like written by women, and I don't think they get the kind of attention they should.

Here is a list of some of my recent favorite boy books by women who I think totally nailed the voice. If you haven't read them yet, I suggest you get started now.




Break and Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
Candor by Pam Bachorz
The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard
The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell
Freefall by Mindi Scott

What about you? Do you have a boy book in your head you've been afraid to write? Do you love boy books? What are some of your favorites written by women?

5 comments:

  1. I've read THE SECRET YEAR and THE REPLACEMENT and I loved both of them. Both very real boy voices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have FREEFALL but I haven't read it yet. i didn't realize it was a boy MC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually enjoy writing in a male POV, as well. It's less cloudy up in a guy's head. lol One of the projects I'm working on now is a dual narrative in which one of my main character's is a guy. I'm writing it in first person, which can be tricky sometimes, but I really love it! There should be more books written by women with male protags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Giver by Lois Lowry which featured a male protagonist. I just love boy MC's in general, ie. The Maze Runner, Ender's Game. One of my books has a male POV as one of the narrators, but he's sort of a jerk/serial killer. I'd love to write an entire novel in a male POV at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the list! I've heard some girls won't read boy books, but most will read both. (And boys don't like to read girl books, in general)

    I've actually written 3 novels with a guy MC, and my Shiny New Idea will be what you are doing--a dual narrative. It's tricky, masquerading as a guy. LOL Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis