Thursday, March 31, 2011

Building a Fantasy World

I don't read a lot of high-fantasy (read, none), so I can't say much about that, but I do read a lot of paranormal and lately dystopian. In a great paranormal or dystopian novel, the author has emerged the reader in her world and she's done it organically. Without dropping a load of backstory bricks on us.

The first book that comes to mind is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and I think it's a perfect example because we've all read it. At least I think we have. If you haven't, go do that.

Katniss doesn't go over all the details of her world, how things used to be, what caused the shift, and how things work now, but she does give us a bit of information about things like the tracker jackers, so that we can see what they are and very briefly what they were created to do. She lets us in on the history of a revolution against the Capital that ultimately spawned the annual Hunger Games--important information that is interesting to the reader. She doesn't dwell on it. She tells us exactly what we need to know and only when we need to know it.

Think about the mutts. Imagine how much that scene would have been slowed down if Katniss would've pushed pause and explained in detail how and why they were originally created. We figured out very quickly what they are, or as much as Katniss knew about them, and we moved on with the action.

I think the most important thing to remember when creating a fantasy world is what is natural for the characters. If your MC doesn't know how the monster was created, then she shouldn't be telling the reader. The reader should be discovering this information with her, but only if and when it's necessary. If she's never seen an ipod, then she shouldn't be telling the reader how her music player compares to one. As writers it is up to us to find a balance between information and action, and it is never not always easy.

11 comments:

  1. What a great example of world building. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nisa! HG is definitely one of those books that sticks with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Hunger Games. As far as high fantasy, I think Graceling did a great job of world building. And right now, I'm reading Possession by Elana Johnson (dystopian) and does an amazing job of giving the reader info in subtle ways--I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm eager to get my hands on POSSESSION! My WIP isn't set in a completely different world, but it does have it's own rules, and this topic has been on my mind a lot lately during revisions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lacey--I can mail it to you after I finish...you'll love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan Kaye Quinn has been breaking down THG excellently lately. Do you guys know Susan?

    I'm reading Possession right now too Kristi! I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent point, it has to feel natural! If the character wouldn't think it, we shouldn't write it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post. As a newbie creating my first fantasy world, this was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you found it helpful! I'm a bit of a rambler, and I worry my posts make sense only to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis