Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Holiday Gift Giving--What books are on your wish list?

It's almost that time of year again. In a way it's a relief, because my kids have been begging to put up the tree since July. No matter which holiday you celebrate, most involve gift giving of some kind. Each and every year growing up, one of the gifts in my stocking was a book. This was mostly because one of my younger sisters and I got up around 3am every Christmas to try and 'catch' Santa in the act. We weren't allowed to wake up my parents for present-opening until 6am, so Santa would leave books to give us something to do in the meantime (because I couldn't possibly go back to sleep with all those shiny presents staring at me). Seriously, I was that kid who had the presents sorted into piles (based on the gift tags) by 4am.

Those quiet hours of Christmas morning were a magical time for me. I'd curl up under a blanket on the couch and read Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, or Little House on the Prairie. When I was older, the stocking books morphed into Stephen King and Dean Koontz (try reading Four Past Midnight at that literal time--creepy). Books have always been entwined with holiday memories for me. I'm sure it's part of why I love giving books as gifts--to pass along the magic to others. It's also a fabulous way to support bookstores and authors. So along with all the sparkly things on display at the mall or online, please consider giving a book to someone you love.

Okay, this concludes my public service announcement. I want to know about your gift-giving. Any books that you've given or received that stand out in your holiday memories? What books are on your wish list for this year?

5 comments:

  1. Kristi, I bet you were an interesting child, lol!
    When I was in grade school, my best friend and I would swap books for holidays and birthdays. Dickens' novels stand out in my memory.
    I give books to my nieces and nephews as holiday gifts and birthday presents. None of them are big readers, so I'm sure they just love me. But I'm hoping one day one book will change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a smart Santa! And what a cozy picture you paint...makes me feel all warm fuzzy! It feels a little off-topic to say this, but since you asked, I'm hoping Bill Bryson's new piece shows up under my tree. Hubby said, "why don't you just buy it?" And I said, "because it's more special to get it as a gift." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lacey-interesting is accurate. Also, as far as your nieces and nephews, sometimes one book is all it takes to change things.

    Jenny-I agree that there's something much more magical about getting something as a present rather than buying it for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a great-Aunt, she gave books all the time, which made everyone else complain because she always penned an inscription. So you couldn't exchange it, and I was the only reader, So I got them all by default. I LOVED Aunt Clara.

    Now I have published my own book, and there is no-one I would rather have read it, but she has been gone 20 years now. SO I hope some nasty Aunt gives it away for Christmas and someone is overjoyed to read it, even if it isn't the intended recipient.

    Dixie Goode AKA echo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dixie--what a great story. I hope your book ends up in wonderful hands this holiday season! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis