Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My mushy post of gratitude

I love Thanksgiving, and not just for the football and turkey, although I am a borderline obsessive NFL fan.. NOTE: My hubby just told me I should cross out the borderline part, but hey, it's my post. Why I love Thanksgiving is that I'm in favor of any holiday that celebrates gratitude. It's too easy to get caught up in the day to day life hassles and forget how darn lucky we are. Even on the rough days, I try to name one small thing I'm grateful for each day. It keeps things in perspective.



Here are a few things I'm grateful for and how they relate to writing (don't worry, I'll explain the helmet)::


1) Where I live. Any time I'm outside and spot the snow-capped mountains in the distance, I feel gratitude for living here in Colorado. (I swear there is creativity in the air here, or maybe it's the drinking water.) Either way, my writing and my hubby's music have grown in leaps and bounds since moving here.

2) My kidlets. Whenever I hear my children laugh, I feel so lucky to be the mom of these two amazing little humans. Also, my 6-yo son tells people that I'm a writer. Never mind that I earn my income as a clinical psychologist. Never mind that I'm not published and don't have an agent. My 3-yo thinks I'm a writer solely because that's what my 6-yo tells her. I love that kid!

3) My ability to write. As I mentioned in this post, I'm extremely grateful for my ability to spend my evenings writing, rather than say working triple shifts in a factory somewhere just to keep food on my table. My hubby is the most supportive person on the planet and allows me to be the best person/mother/wife/writer I can be. He's also my first beta reader and gives amazing advice.

4) My critique groups (The Critiquers and my lovely Sisters) are made of total awesome. They're wise, talented, strong women who are a constant source of strength and support. And they give me a kick in the ass when I need it. What more could you ask for? 

5) The Kansas City Chiefs. (hence the helmet picture) If any of you out there have ever loved a team that has surprised you with its ability to disappoint you year after year, then you feel my pain.This year, my team has actually won more games than they've lost. Are they a Super Bowl team? No. Would Mike Vick kick their asses all over the field? Absolutely. But they're better than they were last year--and the year before. It's all about baby steps, just like in writing. I'm a better writer this year than I was a year ago, and I finished my second book last month. I'm taking baby steps toward that Super Bowl.  

What about you? What are you grateful for this week?

6 comments:

  1. Love it, Kristi! How sweet that your son tells everyone you're a writer! That's motivation right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I love how your 3-yo thinks. So cute!

    I'm grateful for everyone in my life being happy and healthy. Also, that my dad fixed my car this weekend. Best. Dad. Ever! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful for NFL too! Even if my Vikings stink at least I have the local team, the Falcons, to cheer for!

    Also, I own Dwayne Bowe in my fantasy league, and he's been amazing! Love the Chiefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lacey-more like pressure than motivation. :)

    Lindsay-happiness and health is priceless.

    Matthew-Bowe is my son's absolute favorite player! Sorry about the Vikings--I like them and can't believe the difference between last year and this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post Kristi! So much to be thankful for.. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis