Thursday, April 7, 2011

Author Event With Gayle Forman

Tuesday night was the release of the much anticipated sequel to Gayle Forman's IF I STAY. The WHERE SHE WENT launch party was right here in NY, so of course I had to go. :P

There were cupcakes and quarters and curse words. I took a seat next to Elizabeth Eulberg (author of The Lonely Hearts Club and Prom and Prejudice) to eat my cupcake and catch up. Mitali from Alley of Books was also there, as was YA writer Frankie Diane Mallis! Frankie is giving away a signed copy of WHERE SHE WENT on her blog!

Gayle has a rule at home--for every curse word, her kids get a quarter. The signing was no exception. For every kid under 14, Gayle promised a quarter every time they heard the F-bomb in her reading. She owed each of them only one! Go Gayle!


Gayle's first words, before she read the subway scene and the following chapter where Adam becomes "a guy", were "If you fell in love with Adam in IF I STAY, well, I'm sorry."

I won't go into any detail in case you haven't read IF I STAY, because I know you're going to read it because it's great.

Gayle is one of my favorite people. Her books--emotional and raw--are definitely not to be missed.

9 comments:

  1. LOL the quarter thing was hilarious--I was so impressed with how well she read considering some of the audience. Such an awesome event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't able to attend the five borough read during Teen author Festival this year, but Gayle mentioned that she had to read to a group of fifth graders. I assume she read the same passages. I think I would've died. She did awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! That comment about Adam makes me very concerned! Sounds like it was a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a blast. From what she read, I think we're still going to love Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to add these to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi, I think you'd really like them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read If I Stay on the flight to LA last October. Loved it! I'll be reading the next :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO exciting!! I envy you right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis